Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Need a 120 volt relay

On Jul 2, 8:44*pm, Mortimer Schnerd
wrote:
I'm looking for a cheap 120 volt relay to use with my stereo system.
I've got a receiver that has pre in/main out jumpers and so I've added a
second power amp to it which is a lot more powerful that what's already
built into the receiver. *I'm actually powering three rooms of speakers
(8 speakers all told); two sets on the receiver's power amp and 4
speakers in my bedroom off the external power amp.

I want the power to the amp to come on whenever I power up the receiver
but it's a PITA to get to because of the way it's physically installed.

The AC outlet on the back of the receiver is only rated for 100 watts
max. *The power amp can draw up to 11 amps so the receiver's AC outlet
isn't going to work.

So what I think I need is a relay. *The switched outlet on the back of
the receiver can power the coil and then the relay can handle the power
requirements of the external power amp.

So where can I find such a thing? *Ideas?

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

Check standby load, it might save you quite a few watts putting
everything on a power strip and cutting power completely when not in
use. I dont know your set up but understand Ohms and polarity when
wiring speakers, improper ohms can damage some amps, reversing
polarity can cut out bass frequencies.