Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_3_] John Gilmer[_3_] is offline

Default Need a 120 volt relay

"Mortimer Schnerd" wrote in message
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Rat Shack has 'em if you don't have any other source. You can prolly find
a socket for one there too, or just cut both ends off an extension cord
leaving a few inches of wire on each and solder directly to the relay's
lugs.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049721

That one is only good for 10 amps. My amp can draw 11 so I'm really
looking for one rated for 15-20 amps.

OK.

Above 10 amps or so, it's call a "contactor."

You can get then at an electrical supply house (with either 24 volte or 120
volt coil). If you are cheap, you can "salvage" them from a microwave oven
or a central A/C. It's kinda fun to take apart a dead microwave oven.
You get a transformer suitable for making your own electric chair among
other things. The magnets are a source of some amusement also.

"Contactors" have either screws connections or a "spade" male leads. You
can get the connectors at R/S. Put the whole thing in a box to keep your
cat from getting fried.

Since you only need 11 amps you can consider getting a two pole relay from
R/S with each pole rated for 10 amps. Wire the poles in parallel and you
have a 20 amp relay.