Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a 120 volt relay

Mortimer Schnerd wrote:
I'm looking for a cheap 120 volt relay to use with my stereo system.
I've got a receiver that has pre in/main out jumpers and so I've added a
second power amp to it which is a lot more powerful that what's already
built into the receiver. I'm actually powering three rooms of speakers
(8 speakers all told); two sets on the receiver's power amp and 4
speakers in my bedroom off the external power amp.

I want the power to the amp to come on whenever I power up the receiver
but it's a PITA to get to because of the way it's physically installed.

The AC outlet on the back of the receiver is only rated for 100 watts
max. The power amp can draw up to 11 amps so the receiver's AC outlet
isn't going to work.

So what I think I need is a relay. The switched outlet on the back of
the receiver can power the coil and then the relay can handle the power
requirements of the external power amp.

So where can I find such a thing? Ideas?

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

There is a wonderful outfit called FUNCTIONAL DEVICES, INC.
which manufactures some of the most versatile relays I've
ever used. I wish I owned stock.

http://hvac.functionaldevices.com/chartPilot.html

TDD