Posted to alt.home.repair
Dorothy Dorothy is offline

Default * Large tiles in shower??

On Jun 27, 6:55*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Jun 27, 5:52 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

Kathy wrote:
Hello there;

I am redoing my shower, I replaced the walls with hardibacker board
(vapor barrier as well)

and now I'm ready to tile. I noticed that most showers use small
tiles but I would like to use

16 x 16 tiles (Low water absorption). Is there any reason why we
don't see too many large tiles

in walls? is there any tip I should know before I do it? Can it be
done??

Walls would be no problem...just plan your layout so you don't wind up with
skinny pieces at the edges.

Small tiles are easier to use on the floor because the floor isn't flat (has
to drain). Big tiles can be used there too but need to be cut to conform to
the slope on each of the four sides...slopes that form triangles from each
corner to the drain.

Elsewhere, you wondered about weight...a square foot of tiles of the same
thickness will weigh pretty much the same no matter the size of the tiles.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico-Hide quoted text -

Big tiles on floor bad news, grout joints help provide traction.

if you go large on floor use rough surfacer tiles

I had my bathroom completely done over last year - we did not do the
tile work. The floor tiles match the wall tiles in color....but the
floor tiles are 12 x 12; the wall tiles are 8 x 11 in. The outside
trim is about 2 in. by 8 in. long. The tile starts on the outside
edge of the tub and by the time it reaches the corner - the last piece
is about 4 in. wide....then the tile starts in the center back and
works outward so that the pieces meeting at the corner are all the
same size .... hope that makes sense. The large tiles look good.