Posted to alt.home.repair

Default * Large tiles in shower??

I am redoing my shower, I replaced the walls with hardibacker board (vapor
barrier as well) and now I'm ready to tile. I noticed that most showers
use small tiles but I would like to use 16 x 16 tiles (Low water
absorption). Is there any reason why we don't see too many large tiles in
walls? is there any tip I should know before I do it? Can it be done??

*I have 12"x12". You must make sure that your wall surface is perfectly
flat otherwise the unevenness will be very evident when you install the
tiles. Hold a 4' level against the hardibacker surface and see if there are
high or low spots. Grind down the high spots with an angle grinder (Very
dusty; wear mask and goggles). Use thinset and not glue with a 3/8" notch.
Go with a bigger joint such as 3/16". I used Laticrete Spectra Lock epoxy
based grout (Get it at Lowes). It is more expensive but is resistant to
staining and mold and never needs sealing. I choose to install my tiles
brick style with alternating joints rather than continuous rows. I am very
happy with the look.