Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default * Large tiles in shower??

Kathy wrote:
Hello there;

I am redoing my shower, I replaced the walls with hardibacker board (vapor
barrier as well)

and now I'm ready to tile. I noticed that most showers use small tiles but I
would like to use

16 x 16 tiles (Low water absorption). Is there any reason why we don't see
too many large tiles

in walls? is there any tip I should know before I do it? Can it be done??

Thank you in advance,

Kathy

Whatever looks right to you, but it is easier to disguise any uneven
parts of wall with smaller tile. Personally, if I ever feel rich enough
to get a gut job done on my bathroom, I'm gonna go for solid surface
panels in the tub enclosure. I hate cleaning grout joints. The bigger
the tile, the more time needed to square up opening and shim the studs,
but it sounds like you are already past that point. I'd check yours
carefully with framing square and straightedge, before you buy your
tile. You don't want a high spot to show.

--
aem sends...