Posted to alt.home.repair
tim birr tim birr is offline

Default Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas?

On Jun 25, 6:02*pm, "The Streets"
wrote:
I need to replace a ceiling fan that is suspended from
a high ceiling. *The ceiling is about 20 feet up and the
fan is on about a 6 foot down rod.

I can reach the fan motor OK with my 10 foot ladder.
But getting all the way to the ceiling mounting point
would require scaffolding.
SNIP

I am not much at electrical know-how, but had a somewhat similiar
problem this winter when I needed to paint my stairway and replace the
horrible old stairway light -- also some twenty or so feet up.

Building some scaffolding was not all that difficult. I followed some
tips on I think it was the Bob Vila website, which was basically to
get some sturdy ladders and get a sturdy plank to stretch between the
ladders.

For my project, on the stairs, I just ran the plank from a small
ladder at the top of the stairs, straight across to an extension
ladder I wedged in at the bottom of the stairs. I really hate
heights, but it was really sturdy and worked well.

Something along that line, only with two tall sturdy ladders and a
helper or two might work for you.