Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White Ian White is offline

Default Aldi generator

gazz wrote:
they are all the same internaly, 50cc 2 stroke engine, small genny
head, it's all one casting, so when the engine dies, you chuck it away,
the output is 'regulated' by a simple capacitor and of course the
governer that keeps it at the right speed, but that's all thats really
needed,

as it's a alternator being spun at 3600 rpm or thereabouts, it's a pure
sine wave output, the only danger is when you first start it up and
it's on choke, and it runs out of fuel, then the engine speed will be
varying, so the output frequency will be varying too,

the 650 watt output is for a resistive load (tugsten/halogen light
bulb, simple heater etc) for motors the output is pretty low, think 350
watts has been mentioned,

If those small 2-stroke gennies really are "all the same", it will
probably run a 2kg-class SDS drill, a 500W conventional electric drill
or a 4.5in angle grinder quite comfortably. At least, ours does and I've
no reason to suppose it's anything special.

It also runs the OFCH (fan, pump and controller), a small fridge or a
separate freezer - only one at a time because of the startup loads, but
none of them needs to run continuously. More recently we replaced the
separates with a larger fridge-freezer which really makes the genny
grunt on startup; in our case the generator still wins out, but YMMV.

All in all, the "800W" genny has proved a very cost-effective way to get
through the occasional power cut, and the good performance with power
tools was an unexpected bonus.

It has now joined that annoying class of cheap and cheerful tools that
stubbornly refuse to stop working, so I can't justify buying something
better.

--
Ian White