Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default Replacing Fan in a High Ceiling - Ideas?

"The Streets" wrote in message
m...
I need to replace a ceiling fan that is suspended from
a high ceiling. The ceiling is about 20 feet up and the
fan is on about a 6 foot down rod.

I can reach the fan motor OK with my 10 foot ladder.
But getting all the way to the ceiling mounting point
would require scaffolding.

Is there some safe and legal way to splice the wires
from a new fan motor to the existing wires in the
down rod so that I don't have to go all the way to
the ceiling to connect the new fan?

Perhaps you can touch the fan with your 10' ladder, but can you stand on it
and hold the heavy motor and wire it up, without falling?