Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Home sewer pipe relining

On Jun 25, 11:17�pm, mm wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 22:46:55 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
Is home sewer pipe relining a good idea? �As opposed to trenching and
laying in a new sewer pipe.

Does it really last 50 years like the plumbing companies that do this
claim?

The drain is supposed to have a leak and fill with water at a low
spot, and that's why the basement toilet will back up if the other two
toilets are flushed in quick succession, or if the washing machine
drains.

If there is a low spot, chances are water would just lay in there anyway..
I'm not so sure how a liner is going to solve that problem, but a new line
could.

So any low spot is bad. �I suppose a leak in terra cotta pipe could
let water in or water out, and the water coming out could make the
ground settle more around the leak, if there were some place for it to
settle to, but could it wash enough away for the line to sag? �

This had been a well line which worked fine until a week ago. �So
presumably it had no low spots then.

The line was roto-rooted a couple days ago, and then again with bigger
blades, all the way out to the city sewer. �I keep thinking a clogged
vent pipe might be a lot of the reason the toilet backs up.- Hide quoted text -

did the line have roots?

if so before replacing try rock salt dissolved say 4 times a year/.

its cheap, and very effective if roots are in the line. it kills the
roots but leaves tree and bushes unharmed.

25 pounds of rock salt dissolved in basement wash tub in very hot
water has served me great for over 12 years.

dissolve most then go out for day so no water is run