Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Default Electric sockets tripping - mystery! Need help finding solution

On Jun 26, 12:05*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *Bear wrote:

The trip can be reset first time after a trip, but last night I
switched off the MCBs and then the RCB and unplugged all appliances.
Then I switched on the RCB and MCBs. No problem until I started to
plug in devices. As more were plugged in the RCB tripped (I couldn't
isolate it down to either a device or socket). Resetting the trip
wasn't always possible first time - some times I had to wait 10
seconds or more before it would reset.

Have you got an ordinary DVM? If so try measuring the resistance between
earth *pin and neutral, earth pin and line on all the suspect appliances.
Obviously with them unplugged - but switched on if they have a switch on
them. And report the results. Not as good as using an insulation tester -
but can often show a fault.

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake. *

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Excellent idea. I do have a DVM - will try this upon returning home
this evening.