Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Switching Land Line Phone Companies

Ulysses wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

"Murriel" wrote in message
Is it true that if you switch to a local mom & pop outfit, Verizon
still has to correct infrastructure problems such as static that
emanates from outside the house?

If so, how does this work? Do you complain to your new local phone
provider who then contacts Verizon?

Will Verizon still deliver phone directories to you even though you
have dumped them? Thanks.

You address your complaints directly to the new phone company, they,
in turn contact Verizon to initialize a repair request. The
advantage to this method is that you won't have to hear Verizon
rolling on the floor laughing at you, and in truth, you'll get
service from Verizon, just as soon as ALL of their regular customers
are taken care of, or hell freezes over, whichever comes first. I'd
recommend voip

Hell finally froze over and Verizon fixed my phone line. It only
took seven years. Sounds like it would have taken longer with a mom
and pop company. Mine used to go out whenever it got damp and when it
rained it would make long-distance calls and call 911 repeatedly. I
cancelled my long distance but they wouldn't let me cancel 911. One
time the sheriff showed up in his front-wheel drive cruizer when it
was pouring down rain and I don't know how he even made it down the
dirt road in his car. After many complaints they finally fixed the
911 problem and then it started calling 611 every time it rained. At
95 cents per call it added up quickly. They would not let me cancel
611. Now when it rains I can actually use my dialup service. I
managed to have all the bogus calls removed from my bills with
Verizon. I don't know if it would or would not have been as easy
with another provider. Verizon stinks but it could be worse.

Heh!

I used to get the cops knocking on my door about once a month in response to
a 911-hangup. After about a year, the problem was finally traced to a splice
on the cable. Some do-bads had tapped into our incoming fax line and were
using it to make local calls (there was no long-distance capability).
Evidently they were trying to call Honduras or Patagonia or somewhere whose
international calling prefix was +910 and missed.