Morgans

Default Cedar Fireplace Mantle

"Trent" wrote in message
Hi, I have a couple questions concerning a cedar mantle. I've priced them
at various outdoor market places and they're around $1000 and higher. My
husband is very handy in all areas of home construction. He's found a man
(owns a sawmill) that will cut a seven foot cedar trunk, flat on top and

the
back side and left natural on the front and bottom. I'm assuming he'll
strip the bark. Cost is $50. My husband intends to take over from there.
Seeing how expensive the mantles sold for, I asked "just what is involved

in
making a mantle like this?" Besides the stripping, sanding and

varnishing,
he mentioned that the wood had to cure (or season) before the shellac or
varnish. My question is, how LONG does wood have to cure? If there are

any
other tips you could share, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Monica

Cedar may cure slightly more quick, but the general rule is every inch
thickness is a year.

You could look around for someone who has a wood kiln, and for a bottle of
his favorite beverage, the manager will most likely throw it in, and you
will have it back in a couple weeks.

Look for hardwood suppliers, large commercial wood suppliers.
--
Jim in NC