Bob Bowles

Default What hardwood for jig runners?

I've used hard maple as well as white oak for runners with no
problems. Key is alignment and if it's correct there shouldn't be any
wear.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:05:36 GMT, wrote:

Ok, so I have read many instructions (from like Woodsmith, Shop Notes, etc)
on how to make table saw jigs (like crosscut sleds, miter sleds, etc).

The problem is that no matter the source, when it comes to the non-plywood
parts, they just say "make this part out of hardwood" without recommending a
type.

Does it really just not make any difference? As long as it is some kind of
wood that's been milled from a tree, it doesn't matter?

Anyone have any suggestions on a good (but cheap, it is just a jig and not
an armoir after all) type of hardwood that would be a good runner in the
miter slot for jig making?

Signed,

Bewildered