Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Disconnect Bell Box Battery

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"Toby" wrote

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do to me - if you have flashing LED's
on the bell box, one may stop because of the loss of the backup battery,
but other than that, as long as the bell box is in SAB mode, rather than
SCB mode (Self Contained Bell, where AFAIK the sounder always uses the
battery to sound) you can always test this by doing a bell test after you
disconnect the battery)

Unless there is a way to deactivate the tamper in the bell box that you
know of, you need to put your panel into engineering mode, then climb
ladder with ear defenders, open the bell box (which should sound when you
open it) then disconnect the battery (still sounding), then put the cover
back on (it should stop sounding now!)

If you omit the ear defenders, then prepare yourself for ringing ears for
quite a while afterwards...

Toby...

Thanks Toby

I will check for SAB/SCB mode.
Yes I can de-activate the bell box - there is a 15min hold-off facility
which can be invoked by testing the strobe 3 times in 30 seconds.
One problem is that it is difficult to see the flash mode of the bell box
leds on a bright day.
Think I'll fit the ear plugs just in case

Phil

Ear plug are a wise choice. And how long do you think the bell box spends on
the wholesalers shelf before without power before they are sold and still
work? Do not worry.

On the SAB connections in your alarm panel then connect 0V and Tamp (D and C
respectively) to each other to stop the internal tamper sounding. Do this
before climbing the ladder!

Adam