Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Double glazing - internal "snap-in" removal

coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have take out double glazing beads using two fairly used scrapers.
The first one is tapped into the bead to window frame joint
(perpendicular to window). Tap the second one along side the first.
Then use a screw driver between the two scrapers to force them apart
and start to remove the bead. Once the bead starts to move it is then
easy to remove completely. Doing it this way does not damage the
beading. The secret is to use well worn scrapers say about 50mm wide.
If you haven't got a worn scraper file down a scraper to give it a
tapered leading edge.
Regards

Thta sounds a brilliant suggestion that fills me with confidence. No banging
and no direct scraping of the plastic.

I also found out about Don Carlos knives, which are apparantly the "correct"
tool, but having seen a few pics, I really have no idea how you'd use one!

I have a massive selection of old scrapers of that sort of size, so I'll
give it a go.

Thanks

Tim