Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Shower mixing valve problem??

On May 25, 10:36*am, "Whatever . ."
wrote:
I have a shower stall with a single control knob that controls on\off (pull
out for cold and push in for off) and hot\cold (left for hot, right for
cold). *The temperature setting on the gas-fired water heater is on the
"normal" setting. *Other faucets in the house seem to produce a lot hotter
water when they run with only hot turned on. *For a year or two now I've had
to keep the combination hot\cold on\off handle almost all the way towards
hot to keep the shower hot enough for a decent shower. *I finally removed
the round knob and the escutcheon plate to see what it looked like. *There's
a very small retangular cutout in the tile and the only thing that's visible
are the two holes that mount the escutcheon plate. *The diameter of the
place where the knob mounts is a little bigger than the diameter of a
nickel, and it appears to have what looks like the same type of fitting as
with a garden hose valve when you remove the wheel handle - it looks simply
an on\off function - I didn't seen anything that looks like other mixing
valves that I've seen in pictures - nothing that looks like any adjustment
screws or the like.

Is this a situation where I simple remove and replace what the control knob
attaches to? *When I go looking for replacement parts, what's the proper
terminology?

If it's going to involve removing tile and all that, I can learn to live
with it.

Thanks!

I had that issue, it was some large grit blocking the HW, but mine had
a plastic cartrige that came off easily.