Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Prevent weeds between patio slabs

wrote

I have these concrete slabs on my patio, each about 3 feet square,
arranged in a matrix. There is a gap between the slabs 1-2 inches
wide, and weeds like to grow through the gaps like mad. There is
gravel there now, but soil has started accumulating and it's not
keeping the weeds out (this is how it was when I moved in).

What I really want to do is dig the gravel out and put something
impervious in it's place. Something like concrete would be nice, but
I don't think that's the best solution. Any suggestions?

Yes, and you are in luck. Very cheap one. If you put something impervious
in there and you live where it freezes in winter, you will end up with
cracked slabs. (If you rent, this will cost you a bundle!). There is
likely a good reason why they built it with the gaps.

Hie thee to a grocery store. Get a 5 gallon jug of vinegar. Type doesnt
matter so get what's cheapest (Asian grocery type places often have the
larger bottles for very little money). Pour this straight on all the weeds
and in the cracks. Be aware this will kill grass in the yard to so dont go
too close or pour too heavy the first time (rain runoff). It doesnt last
forever so if you happen to hit a little of the grass, it will come back in
a few months (AKA, no permanent damage). Safe for pets, birds, etc.

I use this method on my cracked driveway and have for years.