Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Double glazing - internal "snap-in" removal

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article ,
Tim S writes:
Hi,

Anyone know where to get a trim/bead removing tool for internally glazed
windows (uPVC snap in type).

Having had a very good search on the internet, I can't find such a thing.

I would guess it's going to be something like a bit of metal with a
fairly thin flat L shaped hook on the end of a rod.

Or is there a "proper" name of such a tool?

I'm not aware of such a tool -- fitters I used just used a
thin bladed scraper, and I've done the same on occasion.
You have to push the unit into the frame to loosen the grip
on the beads. Assuming you have gasket strips on the other
side, you take them out first to give you some movement to
play with. If you have glazing tapes, you aren't going to
get the units off them without destroying the tape, and
leaving a horrible mess to clean off the units and the
frames before refitting with new tape. With the beading,
start removal in the middle of the longer side. When you
have the middle out, you have to bend the first piece to
get it out from the ends. The rest of the pieces then come
out more easily.

Ah, look:

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/tools-...ad-lifter.html

Doesn't it look just like a paint scraper!

Came across that website - with much joy, as later I need to reglaze some
ali units and the rubber gasket is shagged. Looks like I might be able to
match it to one of their stock

Found this too, which is interesting:

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=228631

But I think I see the gist of this.

It would probably be best to unscrew the lights (both are opening) and do
this on a bench, at least the first time! Glad I started with tiny weeny
windows Hate to do this with 1m2 of glass!

Cheers

Tim

Last edited by kevin : December 7th 16 at 08:22 PM