Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11200 Ignoramus11200 is offline

Default Dangerous chuck mounting? 12" South Bend chuck

On 2009-05-21, RogerN wrote:
You're probably missing the delightful experience of trying to remove a
threaded chuck after it's been on a while! :-) Some have had to take a
parting tool to the back plate to get their chucks off the spindle. I had a
South Bend with a broken back gear tooth, most likely a result of someone
trying to remove the chuck. My 13" South Bend had a D1-4 Spindle that I
much prefer to threaded spindle.

I would prefer anything to threaded spindles... L mounts or D mounts
are both great. I would think that D mounts (camlock) are the best,
due to not being prone to mating surface contaminated with chips.