Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default What is under the vinyl flooring?

"Anna Kettle" wrote

I am about to lay vinyl flooring in my kitchen. On the floor at the
moment are 25 year old Marley tiles

I have been warned that these are stuck down with bitumen which can
seep through and discolour my vinyl flooring. I dont want to take up
the tiles+bitumen, it would be a horrible job and the floor would end
up a lot less flat then it is now

so before I lay the vinyl I want to put down something which is
impermeable to bitumen. Suggestions so far are

- Hardboard
- Latex
- Plastic sheet

Or am I just looking for work? Bitumen seep has not caused me problems
so far

I had some damp issues due to a long leaking under floor pipe - before we
bought our current 1970s house.
The damp had got well under most of the downstairs tiles so I lifted them.
Subsequent visitors for other works - builders, leak detection guys and the
like - have said that these form an additional damp proofing barrier (the
DPMs used in those days were wafer thin).
So if there's no sign of problems I'd be inclined to leave them be

Phil