Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default What is under the vinyl flooring?

Anna Kettle wrote:

I am about to lay vinyl flooring in my kitchen. On the floor at the
moment are 25 year old Marley tiles

I have been warned that these are stuck down with bitumen which can
seep through and discolour my vinyl flooring. I dont want to take up
the tiles+bitumen, it would be a horrible job and the floor would end
up a lot less flat then it is now

so before I lay the vinyl I want to put down something which is
impermeable to bitumen. Suggestions so far are

- Hardboard
- Latex
- Plastic sheet

Or am I just looking for work? Bitumen seep has not caused me problems
so far

How are you planning to fix the sheet material you are thinking
of putting over the tiles? The flatness and permanence of the
finished floor would completely depend upon this. Are you laying
tiles or sheet vinyl?

AIUI, any professional tiler would simply rip out all the
existing tiles and pour a self-leveling screed.

OTOH if there is no evidence of bitumen visible on your existing
tiles, why should it trouble your new ones?

When I had my kitchen done, the flooring guy used one of those
long-handled scrapers, and lifted the original tiles, older than
yours, plus the sheet material which had been stuck on top, very
quickly.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK