Fred the Red Shirt

Default Think twice before buying a Stots dovetail jig.

Larry Blanchard wrote in message ...
In article 46Ylb.159788$9l5.158176@pd7tw2no, lid
says...
And did you contact Mr. Stots himself before posting in here? As an
individual purchaser, such a limitation really wouldn't bother me one way or
the other. And if I was in business, I'd probably be investing in something
like the Leigh dovetail jig pretty quickly.

I just found out about this myself. There's a pretty full discussion at:

http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/...0/22/221921/32

I would never "license" a tool as opposed to buying it. Applying
computer concepts to tools is asinine. Make that "more asinine" than
when applied to software :-).

IANAL, but IFAIK, those 'shrink wrap' agreements have never been upheld
in court.

Within the United States, contract law is relatively uniform from
state to state. It seems possible that provisions in his 'licensing
agreement' conflict with contract law in your state and then the
'doctrine of first purchase' or some such would apply.

IOW, like Microsoft he may just be blowing smoke up your wazoo but
unlike Microsoft he probably does not have the budget or the lawyers
to harass you for blowing it back out.

It might be fun to post the original query to misc.legal.moderated where
more knowledgible people might commment.

--

FF