Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Fence Rails: 2 or 3?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

My house backs up to a 200' wide power-line easement. The houses on
my side of the easement all had their fences installed with metal
posts. No a single fence came down during hurricane Yikes! The
houses on the other side of the easement all had wooden posts.
Almost all of them were flattened.

Are you referring to the vertical posts in the ground? What size
were the wooden posts? In our area they usually use pressure-treated
4x4's. In almost all cases, whether pre-bilt panels or built in
place, there are three rails supporting the vertical pickets.

Yeah, the vertical posts. Best I could tell (from 200' away) they were the
standard 4x4s. The laterals were 2x4s, but it didn't make any difference.
The wind snapped the vertical posts at ground level.

Truth be told, I suspect the posts were more than fifteen years old, mostly
rotted, and required only a puff to tumble them over. Of course galvanized
metal posts set in concrete don't rot, so...