Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing washers on monoblock mixer tap

Dave Farrance wrote:
My kitchen sink tap:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2dmcpw5.jpg

I managed to get the cold tap's chromed collar off by wrapping masking
tape around it, gripping it hard with a mole wrench and unscrewing it
anticlockwise with considerable force. It seems to be a rubbish
design with dissimilar metals that had corroded the screw threads
together, despite being fitted just 4 years ago.

The next bit is defeating me so far. I can't get the brass whatsit
out to change the washer. I've tried turning it both anticlockwise
and clockwise with enough force to risk ripping the whole thing from
the sink. Any suggestions? Are these normally unscrewed
anticlockwise? I'd rather fix it than replace the whole tap if I can.

Called head gear or jumper assembly. Normal screw thread e.g. undoes anti
clock.

They can be a right little bugger to undo, they get stuck with limescale.
You need to try & find a way of holding the body still while you apply
sufficient force. Large good quality adjustable to give plenty of leverage
is a help.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk