Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Farrance Dave Farrance is offline

Default Replacing washers on monoblock mixer tap

My kitchen sink tap:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2dmcpw5.jpg

I managed to get the cold tap's chromed collar off by wrapping masking
tape around it, gripping it hard with a mole wrench and unscrewing it
anticlockwise with considerable force. It seems to be a rubbish design
with dissimilar metals that had corroded the screw threads together,
despite being fitted just 4 years ago.

The next bit is defeating me so far. I can't get the brass whatsit out to
change the washer. I've tried turning it both anticlockwise and clockwise
with enough force to risk ripping the whole thing from the sink. Any
suggestions? Are these normally unscrewed anticlockwise? I'd rather fix
it than replace the whole tap if I can.

--
Dave Farrance