Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Raised decking support / posts - concrete in or metal spike?

Dundonald wrote:
Hi,

Just about to start a decking project in my garden. I haven't built
decking before, but I have spent some time planning my build out so
I'm pretty much set. One question though. I've built good strong
fences before and instead of concreting in the fence posts I have used
metal spikes. I am wondering if something like this
http://tinyurl.com/djf3l8 can be used to hold the posts that will
support the raised decking
instead of concreting in?

No. First of all they are unecessary, secondly they can twist if they hit
stoney ground, and thirdly they could well sink.

I don't know if your deck is freestanding or attached to a building, but in
either case the only reason to concrete in posts is to keep the deck
'square'. If you don't achieve that, then boarding it will be a big
problem.

The support for the joists is achieved either by a cross beam or by using
padstones to support them.

How 'raised' is your decking?

I've built sh*t loads of decks. Happy to give any advise I can.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwaydecking.co.uk