Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drawer stops

"Jim In FL" wrote in
ng.com:

*snip*
This will be about 16-18" deep, 46-48 long, 42 high. I don't want to
use metal drawer guides - which finally brings me to my question.
I've searched all over and picked up a lot of tips on integrating the
structures that will support and guide the drawers in and out, and the
kickers for tipping, etc. But for some reason everything I've found is
very vague about stopping the drawers, both going in, and coming out,
and the ability to remove them. My thought is that there should be
accepted, common methods to do this (many probably, some better than
others) and since I'm starting with a blank slate, I can take this
opportunity to do it right and learn some new stuff.

Open to all suggestions. Thanks for reading and extra thanks if
you've got something for me !

Jim in FL

(Totally unrelated but had to tell someone - I just made up my mind -
I'm going to buy a Domino. Been thinking about it forever to the
point where every project I do I think "well I could have done it THIS
way if I had a Domino")

I've noticed quite a few pieces of furniture don't have stops. With
rails at the top and bottom, the drawer won't start to tip until about
80% out.

The only dresser I remember having stops had a piece of metal sorta like
a filled-in staple at the front of the front brace. The drawer could
then be tipped out for removal, but it would stop the drawer from coming
out too far. The important thing about stops is to make sure the drawers
are still removable.

Congratulations on the Domino purchase decision! I just got a skid steer
to get stuck in the mud. ;-)

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking