Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Remove exterior wall studs from stuccoed wall?

On May 2, 2:43*pm, TomYoung wrote:

snip

The exterior wall is stucco and, based on what I've read on the
Internet, I should also be looking at sheathing that's been nailed to
the exterior studs to provide a base for the building paper, spacers
and wire mesh to which the stucco is applied. *But I'm not.

What I'm seeing is the building paper and wire mesh and, in some
places where the building paper is gone, the "backside" of the
stucco. *No sheathing. *I assume this is some sort of alternate method
of applying stucco to an exterior wall. *Is that the case?

snip

What you're looking at is an extreme example of code violating,
corner cutting, shoddy construction. Maybe I'm wrong, but it might be
best just to bulldoze the structure and build a decent house. Get an
opinion from your local city building inspector if you aren't afraid
of real bad news. Trying to salvage anything from your Pandora's box
could be a ghastly money waste. Try to find some professionals to
advise you before you get in too deep. Good luck.

Joe