Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default refrigerator not cooling, compressor too hot?

On Apr 28, 9:57*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
George wrote:
We have an old (c 1980) GE 'Frost Free' fridge (freezer-on-top). *Both
the freezer and the fresh-food areas cool down only to about 50F. *The
evaporator fan runs, and seems OK. *The evaporator coils are 'cool', but
not so cold it hurts to touch them. *The defrost heater is not on.

The compressor runs, but shuts off after less than 10 mins. *The
compressor is quite hot - you can touch it, but it would burn, if you
applied pressure. *(The compressor fan is running, but shuts off along
with the compressor.)

Questions:
- Is that too hot for a compressor? *IIRC, my father used to say that a
motor that you couldn't touch was too hot. *Even if true, does the same
apply to compressors?

- Would they have a 'self-resetting' temperature cutout on the
compressor, where it would keep recyling after cooling down?

- Any other reasons why the compressor would shut off, when the freezer
is nowhere near the setpoint temp?

Thanks,
George

Hi,
Check 3 things; defrost timer/contacts, air circulating fan inside, then
low refrigerant charge. If left like that compressor may burn up.- Hide quoted text -

When mine was going out the service guy told me it would cost a
minimum of $100 for him to come out and just check it out. Taking it
into the shop want much cheaper. Would you pay $100 plus for a 29 year
old fridge. It sounds like the compressor has overheated several
times. It has a leak that has to be found. You could easily be looking
at a $400 to $500 bill for this thing if you repaired it.

Jimmie