Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Neighbor's dead tree is leaning against my oak and threatening tofall on my property

On Apr 28, 9:09*pm, Joe wrote:
My neighbor has had a dead tree in the back of his property for about
a year, last night the wind finally broke the trunk and it fell a
little toward my yard but was stopped by a large oak tree on my
property. I'm worried that it might break apart and fall when my
children are playing in the yard. I need this tree to come down and
I'm worried that my neighbor won't do it. They have a habit of only
doing the kind of maintenance that is absolutely necessary. How do I
approach them to make sure they take care of this problem? *I'm on
good terms with this neighbor and I'd like to take care of this in the
most tactful way possible but I get the feeling they are going to tell
me that if I want the tree down I'm going to have to pay for it
myself.

Ask the neighbor. If you get a cold shoulder and no cost sharing...
Then call your insurance company to send out an adjuster. Yours and
the neighbors' insurance companies will decide how to pay the bill.
Tree cutting is probably the most dangerous occupation, unless you do
it regularly I'd leave it up to a contractor. It is a hazard after
all.