Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Neighbor's dead tree is leaning against my oak and threatening to fall on my property

HeyBub wrote:
LouB wrote:
Joe wrote:
My neighbor has had a dead tree in the back of his property for
about a year, last night the wind finally broke the trunk and it
fell a little toward my yard but was stopped by a large oak tree on
my property. I'm worried that it might break apart and fall when my
children are playing in the yard. I need this tree to come down and
I'm worried that my neighbor won't do it. They have a habit of only
doing the kind of maintenance that is absolutely necessary. How do I
approach them to make sure they take care of this problem? I'm on
good terms with this neighbor and I'd like to take care of this in
the most tactful way possible but I get the feeling they are going
to tell me that if I want the tree down I'm going to have to pay for
it myself.

first just ask nicely.
You might gently point out that his insurance company will not pay
for any damages cause he could have fixed the problem.

A spin on this is "My insurance will pay for damage to my property,
but then they will sue you to recover their expense."

As a LEGAL principle, the neighbor is responsible for all damage
something on his property causes on another (excepting acts of God
like a lightning strike or armed rebellion).

Where I live, trees falling are generally the recipients problem legally. An
"Act of god".