Posted to uk.d-i-y
Anna Kettle[_3_] Anna Kettle[_3_] is offline

Default Lime wash on beams or ping Anna Kettle:-)

Hi Tim

Hi Tim

Whenever I have had to clean off flaky lime, I have been getting ready
to relimewash. Is that an option in your case? Or could you go for the
'limed oak' effect? Because if so you dont need to get every last bit
of lime off, just the loose bits and a stiff brush works just fine to
do that

Otherwise ...

As TNP suggests, If you have a pressure washer and dont mind the barn
getting wet then I'd be tempted to experiment with a pressure washer
in an inconspicuous spot

or

As rubber biker says, there are various air abrasive systems and that
is what the pros would use. Joss and Doff (sp?) are names that come
to mind. I have never used them but those who have done say they are
effective but there is a technique to using them. Presumably the hire
people would tell you how

I dont like the sanding ideas. Sanding removes the surface of the
timber and hence the patination and reveals woodworm holes which are
not very pretty

I dont like the wire brush idea either, too much like hard work and
will tend to abrade the surface rather than remove recessed limewash.
But if you do use a wire brush then make sure it is brass not steel or
you will be left with a fine scattering of rust on the timbers

Anna