Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterK[_3_] PeterK[_3_] is offline

Default Tiling on particle board

"newshound" wrote in message

One advertised solution is something that sounds/spells like "no more
ply" AFAIK it is 6mm cement fibre board in 2'x3' sheets that are fixed
with polyurethane glue and screws and cost £10? /sheet.
I wonder if its the same as "RCM Multipupose fibre cement board - A high
performance cellulose fibre cement sheet which can be used in an
extensive range of application both internally and externally. Key
Benefits: Excellent weathering properties, high tensile strength, high
MoE, smooth finish for paint, excellent acoustic
performance. A very strong versatile board." A 6mm 8x4 sheet being £15
on their price list at
http://www.rcmltd.biz/RCM%20Price%20...Jan%202009.pdf. This board
should address water issues but also glued & screwed should add
significant rigidity to a chipboard floor.

Peterk

Is that flexible enough not to crack when put down on a floor? I'm
thinking particularly of floors in old properties where there may be a bit
of movement in the odd joist.

I presume that is where the polyurethane glue comes in since it foams into
gaps during setting and where there are gaps the foam would compress/stretch
if the underlying board moved . I wouldn't like to try and remove stuck
down boards - I've been caught once with the glue got some on one hand
transferred it to the other without noticing and ended up with the stuff
stuck to my hands for 3 days! Fibre cement board is pretty tough stuff but
does have some flexibilty and I think it would stand significant stress.
I'm tempted to ring RMC and ask why aquapanel, hadiebacker etc. are the same
product or what is the difference.

PeterK