Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_5_] Steve Barker[_5_] is offline

Default Steering Problem on Craftsman Lawn Tractor

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Apr 14, 9:24 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:12:31 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
I just started using my tractor having bought it new at the end of the
summer 2005 mowing season.
Every year at this time I faithfully tune it up - change oil/oil
filter/spark plugs/air filter/fuel filter, clean the carb, take off the
deck/sharpen the blades, check the belts, ...
Having just completed all of the above, I'm finding the steering to be
very difficult. It feels like a car with power steering but the power
is
off - much more force is required to turn the steering wheel. It is
also
difficult to steer back to straight from a hard turn.
What could be the problem? Could it be a simple lubrication solution,
or
something more significant like a bearing/bushing in a wheel/axle
assembly? I see no obvious visual indications.
The model is 917.275702, 24 hp, 48" deck.
Maybe a dumb answer, but have you checked tire pressure. Assuming they
are
that type. WW

That was a real useful reply. I just love people who quote a message
and dont add anything !!!!

To the OP. Lawn tractors are notorious for having problems with the
steering gears. I's look at them. They easily wear out. Of course
you should be lubricating them too, as well as all the bearings from
the steering wheel to the tires. This includes the swivels, or in car
terminology, tie rod ends. Lube the entire sterring assembly and look
for worn parts. Dont forget to lube all wheel bearings too. - Hide quoted
text -

How does it steer if the front wheels are off the ground, is it still
stiff?

_________________

I jacked the front off the ground. Steering is still quite stiff, though
not quite as stiff as on the ground.

If anything, tire pressure was high. I adjusted all tires to spec pressure.

I lubricated all steering mechanisms with WD-40. This helped somewhat, but
there is still some degree of stiffness. At times I hear a squeak on turns
as well.

Whatever the source of the stiffness is, is still there, not quite as severe
with the WD-40.

Now what?

Well first of all you didn't LUBRICATE anything with WD-40. It's not a
lubricant. What you need to do is lubricate the moving parts and
different spots with chassis grease. Not oil, not graphite, not pam.
GREASE. Get in there and find all the places where things touch and
GREASE them.