Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Steering Problem on Craftsman Lawn Tractor

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
I just started using my tractor having bought it new at the end of the
summer 2005 mowing season.

Every year at this time I faithfully tune it up - change oil/oil
filter/spark plugs/air filter/fuel filter, clean the carb, take off the
deck/sharpen the blades, check the belts, ...

Having just completed all of the above, I'm finding the steering to be
very difficult. It feels like a car with power steering but the power is
off - much more force is required to turn the steering wheel. It is also
difficult to steer back to straight from a hard turn.

What could be the problem? Could it be a simple lubrication solution, or
something more significant like a bearing/bushing in a wheel/axle
assembly? I see no obvious visual indications.

The model is 917.275702, 24 hp, 48" deck.

Let me clarify my first sentence - I bought it in 2005 at the end of the
cutting season but have used it every cutting season since, so used it
through 2006, 2007, and 2008. Now all of a sudden the steering is
difficult.

Last time I checked out Sears lawn tractors, I decided not to buy because
one weak area that I noted was the flimsy front axle and steering mechanism.
Much of it is made of pressed sheet metal and could easily bend out of
alignment. Check yours, a bump at some time may have bent something in the
front end resulting in stiff steering.

I ended up with a John Deere, its front end is really heavy duty, easy to
lubricate and very light to steer.