Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wiring a PIR

Thomarse wrote:

Sorry to seem "dim" - pardon the pun, but is there a way you could
explain the wiring in an idiot proof fashion? Hopefully I am not an
idiot and i have wired up many standard lights and switches in my
time, however I am struggling to follow your explanation for the PIR
wiring. I have found so many wanys of wiring them online that I have
confused myself so the more basicyou can make it the more chance it
has of sinking in!

Try this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/b/b...ampCircuit.gif

Just to complicate your life I have drawn it with a optional additional
lamp, and additional PIR just to show how they would be wired if you had
them. In your application however you can ignore these!

So I currently have a standard set up of light, standard switch, wired
though a junction box with live, neutral and switched live - How do I
get the PIR wired into this setup.

From your JB, use a 3&E and connect:

the Live to the Live in on the PIR
the neutral to the neutral in on the PIR
the switched live to the Switched Live on the PIR

That way either the switch or the PIR can make the switched live active.

Also, why do the instructions show a diagram with the blue wire being
connected to nothing?

Some PIRs have a capability to get their neutral via the filament or the
lamp they are connected to. However this only works if you are switching
filament lamps. If I were wiring one like this, I would still wire it as
I have shown to allow easy replacement with a different type in the future.

As a general principle its quite convenient run your feed to the first
lamp via a master switch and then string 3&E between it and any
following PIRs, lamps, or Lamps with built in PIRs. That way you can
elect at any position to have a lamp that is:

* switched manually from the master
* automatically via other / all PIRs
* or just via its own PIR if it has one.

If you make the first connection via a 3&E then you can also have
another switch at the head end to force all the lamps on as well.
--
Cheers,

John.