Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Garage door - stuck open :(

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Nozza brought next idea :

Now I can't close the garage door. It gets nearly to the floor - about
15 cms away - and is sticking out a little bit. Have tried pushing it
back up and trying again. Noticed theres a bit of dangly wire on the
left side, and the wire on the right is taught and now theres none on
the "rolly bit" at the top.

Tension wire snapped, or lifted out of its roller?

Secondly, what sort of price would I be looking at if I need a new
door/door mechanism, and how much are the electric rollery type doors
to get installed?

I bought one from a S****horpe company and installed it myself, to replace
an up and over type. It was made to measure and cost me around £500 -
electric and with 2x remote controls. I think I would have rather tackled
the install of the electric one than the up and over type, it was much
less fidley to align. I managed it alone, but it does really need at least
two maybe three to maneuver the door roll into place. I was able to add a
third manual set of button controls inside the garage.

You fit two U shaped slides each side of the opening, fit the roller
including motor above the door, then lift the bottom end of the door over
the top and lower it down the slides. The motor is a tubular one in the
centre spindle of the roller.

The door slats are aluminium filled with insulation foam and the entire
thing seals pretty well, so it is much warmer /draft free than before.

To answer a question before it is asked...

If the power fails there is included a manual cranking handle to operate
the door, but the type supplied needs you to be able to get inside to
operate the crank. At extra cost you can get a crank system which can be
operated from outside the garage, if your only way in is via the big front
door. Not a problem for me because I have three entrance doors into my
garage.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

I believe most doors fail due to people getting heavy handed with them -
because they are stiff - because they are not lubricated. Don't take them
for granted - get out your oil can. Mine - after 22 years can be moved with
one finger.