Posted to rec.woodworking

Default UL approval

To get UL - you have to send SEVERAL machines to them. They run
destructive and non-destructive testing on then and test against known
documentations they have on like equipment.

Big company or tiny product - no real issue. How about taking the
first three off a line and saying bye bye - with money and time and
not see a penny. You might get cleared - you might get a list of things
to fix and re-submit.

Martin

wrote:
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:47:22 GMT, Nova wrote:

Larry wrote:
"Len" wrote in
:

If it's "fixed position", then it's not a riving knife and
shouldn't meet UL, or anyone else's, standards for the way
a riving knife is supposed to work.

Len

Not trying to hijack the thread but... Just got a subscription
to Wood magazine given to me by a friend. Reading this months
Q&A at the back, Wood magazine did a quick check of their
equipment and *none* of their machines were UL approved. Two
thirds of ther equipment had *no* certification.

This question came about because a woodworker in NC had an
electrician add a circuit for an air cleaner and the inspector
would not let him install the device because of a lack of UL
cert.

Larry

What type is inspector? I've never know an electrical inspector to get
involve with that is going to be plugged into an outlet.

Not plugged in, but definitely on a hard-wire.