Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default Riving knives/splitters and such

Jim Weisgram wrote:
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 03:16:27 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote:

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that someone had decided
(all safety concerns duly noted) that they were never, ever going to
use the blade guard/splitter assembly that came with their table saw.
Wouldn't it be possible to take the splitter, and with a little
creative work with an angle grinder, reduce it to something resembling
a riving knife?

Of course this would depend upon the mounting setup of the particular
saw, but so long as the front part of the splitter mounted securely to
the saw, this should work, right?

Should work. There's the "Shark splitter" that goes with the "Shark
guard" that does something like what you describe.

http://www.leestyron.com/sharksplitter.php

Hey, that guy stole my idea! For years I've been using homemade
splitters on my Unisaw that are similar the one shown in those photos.
But mine are better. :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.