Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Riving knives/splitters and such

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:25:46 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Depends on how you define "work". One key difference is that a true
riving knife moves up and down as the blade is raised and lowered,
whereas a splitter does not -- and hence your intended faux-riving knife
won't either. In other words, you'll still have to remove it to cut
grooves, dados, or rabbets.

I knew there was another reason I liked my antique Delta where the table
goes up and down instead of the blade. Now where can I fasten my
homemade riving knife? Hmmmm....