Posted to sci.electronics.repair,de.sci.electronics
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Warwick Sonic III amp

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:04:12 -0000, "N_Cook" wrote:

Not the cause of the problem that it is here for repair, but I cannot
return
it to the owner with this glaring potential (in both senses) fault,
presumably the same for all such Warwick amps.
One large heatsink with +75V on it and the other at -75V and 2.5mm between
the two , both mounted on standard polyester pcb with chassis standoffs
well
away from the heatsinks. Discharged both before this test of course,
requires only 1.5Kg of force between the 2 heatsinks to narrow the gap to
1.5mm.
Have amp designers never seen the internals of their stuff
resonating/oscillating mounted in or on speaker cabs, especially bass amps
such as this?

Ran into similar design phenomena in a Berringer Euro Power powered
mixer. Left me sitting scratching my noggin wondering what the hell
were they thinking.

Well Meat, you answered your own question there ! It was a Behringer, so
they weren't thinking at all ... !! d;~}

Arfa