Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default drywall which got wet

wrote

Due to a leaky shower stall ( since replaced) some of the nearby
drywall now has a 'puffy' look. I guess the paper coating has
expanded or sumthin'. Can I lightly sand it and paint over it? What
would you suggest? Thanks.

How bad is it? If really bad, will have to be replaced but that's not as
hard as it sounds.

If just a bit bubbled (can barely feel it) let it completely dry then
consider possibly putting a 'bathroom type' (vinyl sort of) wall paper over
it after sanding smooth *lightly* through any bubbled paint. It will have
to be very minimal damage or the wallpaper will bubble and not adhere, or
you'll see imperfections through the paper.

Don't use the standard 'paper' but stuff meant for bathrooms. it's a bit
thicker and can handle a reasonable dampness load. Also it's washable.