Default Cutting a curved brace

It will be pretty close to a quarter circle.

Steve

"Scott Cramer" wrote in message
.53...
On 15 Oct 2003, spake unto rec.woodworking:

I am in the planning stages of a project that will require 2 curved
braces approximately 3 feet long. The material is 5/4 red oak. I can
cut the braces out of an 8" wide board but the center line of the
board will run through the inside of the arc. I don't have a lot of
experience at this but something tells me that this will weaken the
piece quite a bit. This is mostly decorative so it won't bear a lot of
weight; maybe 100 pounds at most. I just don't want the brace to
split. I would rather not use a wider board... this stuff is already
too expensive. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

If the board is 3' long and 8" wide, and the center line of the board

will
run through the inside of the arc, then you are cutting an arc

considerably
less than a quarter circle, yes? I don't think you need to worry about
splitting across short grain, if the arc is that short.