Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Boiler Replacement

salesguy wrote:

We have had a quote for replacement of the boiler from BG - due to some
amazing maths, they got it up to £3300 before discounts brought it back down
to £2700!!

So probably £1800 from an independent fitter...

I will not be using their services, but they have put the fear of god into
the Mrs over the need to 'register' the new boiler with the LABC at the
council. Indeed, the BG sales literature makes specific reference to this,

Indeed - one should...

likening it to obtaining planning permission. Non BG installations may be

No nothing like PP, your fitter needs to submit a self certification
notice to them that says it complies with the requirements of part L
(should cost him about £3.50 or something like that IIRC). I am sure one
of our regular fitters could elaborate on the exact process.

subject to up to additional charges of £4-500 (they say). The brochure goes

Ah, FUD marketing. If you were to fit your own boiler for example, and
were not a CORGI (or equal for other fuels) member, then you would not
be able to self certify. Hence you would need to apply for a building
notice to have the LA inspect and sign off the installation as complying
with building regs. This would cost you a building notice fee. Could be
north of £100, but very unlikely to be anything like £400 (unless the
commercial value of the work you were doing was in excess of £10K!)

on to say that if Part L is not complied with, there may be fines!!

For certain values of "may" - and only then if the work did not comply
with building regs. (i.e. in reality - fat chance)

I seem to recollect that Part L now demands a condensing boiler with a
minimum SEDBUK, but most boilers sold now will comply anyway.

Yup. You will need to make sure the controls are up to modern standards
as well. So Room stat (aka boiler interlock) and TRVs on all rads except
the one in the room with the stat.

Can anyone point me to a good source on this 'registration with LABC'
malarkey, I have googled but cannot seem to find a good, reputable source of
info.

I expect that for most LAs it is one of those things that have simply
never happened. Some CORGIs will submit the paperwork, others won't, but
I would be very surprised if any self installers (or non registered
fitters trading illegally) have done a building notice.

--
Cheers,

John.