Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Boiler Replacement

salesguy coughed up some electrons that declared:

Most esteemed DIY experts....

We have had a quote for replacement of the boiler from BG - due to some
amazing maths, they got it up to £3300 before discounts brought it back
down to £2700!!

Yeah - I was quoted 2500 to supply and fit a boiler, with 10m of surface run
gas pipe, 2x3m surface water pipe and connect to electrics that I had
already supplied adjacent to the boiler, which was on the ground floor!
That was about 1500 for a day to a day-and-a-half of matey+lad.

So I'll be doing it myself...

I will not be using their services, but they have put the fear of god into
the Mrs over the need to 'register' the new boiler

AFAIK, if a CORGI ("Gassafe" now or whatever) does it, the installation gets
registered with them. Nothing to do with BG - it would be the same for any
CORGI/whatever install.

If you did it yourself, technically the gas requires no notification, but
you would need to notify the LABC with respect to Part L (energy), maybe
Part F (ventilation) unless it's a room sealed boiler, which it probably is
anyway, and maybe Part P (electrics) - and that's debateable if it's a
straight swap.

with the LABC at the
council. Indeed, the BG sales literature makes specific reference to
this,
likening it to obtaining planning permission. Non BG installations may be
subject to up to additional charges of £4-500 (they say).

Utter ********. Firstly, I would imaging any CORGI installer is able to self
certify these bits. Also, I have a BNA (Building Notice) on my house which
cost 321 quid and covers drains, boiler, wood stove, lots of random Part L
crap, full rewire and a few other things. The cost for a boiler BNA would
be typically the minimum charge - more like a 100-odd + VAT.

The brochure
goes on to say that if Part L is not complied with, there may be fines!!

No one gives a damn and there's a timeout anyway or 6 months and 2 years
IIRC (different aspects time out differently). Technically they could bust
you for a fine, but Part P prosecutions are rare, and targetted at dodgey
traders. I've never heard of someone being busted for failure to notify
Part L work.

I seem to recollect that Part L now demands a condensing boiler with a
minimum SEDBUK, but most boilers sold now will comply anyway.

You can still buy a non condesning if you really want to.

Can anyone point me to a good source on this 'registration with LABC'
malarkey, I have googled but cannot seem to find a good, reputable source
of info.

www.YOURDISTRICTCOUNCIL.gov.uk (change capitalised bit as appropriate - you
want your borough/district council - not parish and not county council)
then look for Building Control. Or nip down the Town Hall and see them.
Building Control are generally helpful, though some inspectors are more
by-the-book than others.

Building Regs "Approved Documents" are easily found for free by googling -
they're generally not too hard to read.

Cheers

Tim