Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fence Panels - Concrete slotted posts - replacing panels

John wrote:
I need to replace a couple of panels at my daughter's house this week
- I'll be trying it single handed.

Any tips on how to get a panel up six feet to drop it in.

I have done it single handed, but its a right PITA. Did 6 panels by myself
one day, knackered afterwards!

Two methods.

Get a ratchet strap around the panel vertically at the centre point, do it
up fairly tight so the buckle is about 2' from the bottom of the panel.
This gives you something to hold the panel.

Stick one end in the slot & lift the whole panel. As soon as the other end
clears the edge of the slot, move it in & drop the panel a little. Its easy
from now on, use the strap to keep the panel square.

Don't try it on a windy day!

If they are wany lap panels you can often 'spring' them in. Get one end in
the slot & use a pry bar or two to get the other end in. Surprisingly the
panels often have enough flexibility to put up with this as long as the
tolerances are wide enough. Try it at ground level first, if no go, stand
the panel on a workmate or something so its a few feet off the ground & try
again.

Let us know how you get on :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman