Christian Aufreiter

Default Power tools in Europe (long)

otforme (Charlie Self) wrote in message ...
Christian Aufreiter writes:

The Dewalt cordless stuff looks great but I wonder who needs a 24 V
drill. It really annoys me that Dewalt is much more expensive here
than in the US.
For example: DW 980K2 costs EUR 357.6, which is $ 421.36 at today's
rate.

Tool prices in Brit magazines have always made me choke a bit...usually, the
available models are a step or 2 down from U.S. models, and the prices range
from60% to 150% higher. Basically, it seems that you guys need to jump on your
politicians about your tax rates.

20 % VAT in Austria, 16 % VAT in Germany. This is only one reason for
the high price of tools here. Without tax the DW 980K2 costs still EUR
298 (= $ 349.02 at today's rate)!
What exaktly do you mean by "available models are a step or 2 down
from U.S. models"?
I haven't noticed this. Some tools seem to be the same, of course,
they need differnent voltage and some tools are not available (the
other way round too).
Just check Mafell USA and Mafell Germany or the Bosch jigsaw in the
USA and the European model.

As for using 24 volt cordless tools, don't make judgments until you're in a
position to use such a tool. A 24 volt hammer-drill can be exceptionally
useful
to a professional, but is primarily a waste of money for any amateur.

For drilling in concrete I'd buy a rotary hammer, if necessary a
cordless tool like the Hilti TE 6-A. This tool is certainly heavy but
will drill concrete like butter compared to a normal (cordless) hammer
drill.
I agree, an 18 V cordless drill/driver might be useful for a
carpenter. But I see more and more hobby woodworkers using such heavy
stuff and wonder why.
A *good* (I use a Festool CDD) 12 V or 14,4 V will do everything you
could expect from a cordless drill and is certainly sufficient for a
hobby woodworker or cabinet maker.

Regards,

Christian