Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_2_] Gerald Ross[_2_] is offline

Default Nostepinne

Casper wrote:
Here is my finished pear wood nostepinne...
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/i...ostepinneC.jpg

Click the "Full Size" button to enlarge if it comes up small. It is a
little hard to see the grain so I presented it's best side.

I turned this from an end-grain section of branch from a 150 year old
pear tree. The tree belonged to the friend of a neighbor. Apparently
the fruit went unused and every summer would bring hundreds of bees
which his wife could no longer tolerate. He reluctantly cut it down
which, as it turned out, was a good thing as most of the trunk was
rotted and hollowed from ant infestation. I salvaged what I could
leaving the rest on his wood pile for firewood.

I went simple on the finish, using Hut Crystal Coat followed by a
layer of Renaissance wax and a light buffing. I wasn't certain my Hut
was still good so I used it on a test piece and it's still usable. I
guess keeping it sealed inside an airtight plastic bag and indoors has
kept it from spoiling just yet. I plan to use it up if possible.

I plan on making more nostepinnes for gifts and sale but this one I am
keeping to honor the long life of the tree and it's beautiful wood.

`Casper

I made my wife a dough rolling pin from seasoned (dry) bradford pear.
Within a year it had split. Have made a lot of bowls from it with
hardly any cracks.

Looks nice!

--
Gerald Ross