Posted to misc.consumers.house
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default Water Hammer When Turning Faucet On ?

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:33:29 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello,

Have the typical single-handle Delta faucet in our kitchen.

Has recently in the last few weeks developed a water hammer when turning it
such that the cold water is put On.
Water hammer only when turning On.

So, I guess this would not be classified as the typical water hammer, as
true water hammer I see from other posts is only when a valve is turned off.

So, I replaced the two springs and rubber "top-hat" gaskets in the faucet
that contact the ball.

Still have the water hammer.

I did a pretty good Google search, but can't find anything much related to
the hammer like noise when turning the water on. The suggestions and posts
are pretty much confined to the noise when a valve turns off.

Possibilities mentioned included loose pipe hanger or loose piping, or too
high water p.

Checked these, and can't find anything wrong.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem, and what to do about it other
than replacing the faucet with a new one (which may not solve the problem
?)?

AFAIK, water hammer is water hammer, off or on. The faucet won't
likely fix anything. Perhaps you have a hammer arrestor that is full
of water? Try draining the pipe to try to get some air into the
arrestor. It's free, so worth a try.